Sunday, February 16, 2014

Notes on Home, from a Forever Wanderer


Hello my dear readers! 

First, let me offer up an apology for such a long absence when I know there was a lot of living vicariously you wanted to be doing! But ya know, sometimes living life just gets in the way of sitting on a computer long enough to write what needs to be written. Now that I am home, I have given myself the necessary time to sit down and truly collect myself a bit. 

I must admit, out of all the places I have been, coming back home was the most surreal moment. I can feel big changes happening all around and within me, but on the surface is seems as though nothing in this town has changed, though life surely continued on in my absence. My room is still the same, though it now seems far more crowded after living out of a backpack for months. What I am getting at, is that it feels as though I never left. Although I have just returned from a life-changing adventure, I find life here very much the same. It's comforting and discomforting at the same time. I love being with my family again, I love having my own bed and not worrying about where I will sleep each night, and I love Wyoming. But now it is immediately back to talk of "my next big adventure", it's back to obligations like bills and taxes and a job. It truly does set me into flight mode, when just a few weeks ago I wanted nothing more than to be hanging out at home with no itinerary, no traveling, just relaxing. 

I don't know if it is a common paradox for travelers to miss home when traveling and miss traveling when home, or if it's just me. Either way, I am a firm believer that I control my universe, my reality..and every situation is only as good or as bad as I make it. So I am going to make this a grand experience, because what I am striving for in life right now is quality. Quality relationships, quality time, and quality within myself. I honestly have no "big plans" other than doing things and being with people who bring joy into my life. I want to develop my skills as a photographer, as a yogi, as the person I AM. I have aspirations of spending the summer months lost and learning in the wilderness, because that is where I find my truest bliss. Remember, making yourself happy is the easiest way to spread love and good energy throughout our lives as well as others. 


So let's see…how could I possibly sum up a four-month trip in South America in one blog post? I can't. So starting now, I will be going back and filling you in on all the happenings of my trip a little bit at a time. That way I can fully express moments how they deserve to be. I think I had left off last in Paracas, Peru…



We checked into the Kokopeli hostel, which was covered in daring art and filled with lovely people. Past the pool area, the dorms, the living room, sits the outside patio on the beach. It's complete with hammocks, pool tables and a tiki bar. This place promised nothing less than being a total vacation from the outside world…and after all the hustle and bustle of Iquitos and Lima, was just what I needed. 

The next week was a slight blur of lounging, soul searching, mango slushies, and lots of laughs. I was so thrilled that Jessica and Meshach (my friends from Alaska) decided on the same route as us, so I was able to spend a lot of time with them! We all took a boat tour around Islas Bellestas, islands full of seals, penguins, and multiple types of birds, as well as the famous Nazka lines. Unfortunately I was feeling a bit under the weather/sea sick, so I wasn't incredibly thrilled… especially with our pestering tour guide (thus, no photos). I also met a couple guys from Alaska, who were super cool and made me want to go back to AK. We sea kayaked with dolphins, which was a freeing experience…even though Carli was bleeding profusely from the leg (we had some troubles launching the kayak into the water). And I had one of many near-death bathroom experiences… thank you, Peru, for doing something kinda terrible to your food.








 Then after we had as much down-time as we could handle, we all hopped on a bus to Huacachina, an oasis town in the middle of the dessert. Here we went on a dune buggy and sand boarding tour, visited wineries, and were 'forced' to endure Pisco shots. Pisco is the most popular liquor in Peru, made from the vapors of wine, and is enjoyed mostly in the form of a Pisco sour. I'll take the wine instead, please. 










  From here, we hopped on a ten-hour bus ride to Arequipa. 
And that's where I will be starting off at next post! 

No comments:

Post a Comment