Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Birthday in GNP


I know a trip is going well when I have no idea where to start the story. I guess I will go with my week in Glacier National Park.

This is the third time I have visited Glacier, and I was still in just as much awe as I was the first time around. It's magic. I spent my first snowy day there riding the shuttle along Going-to-the-Sun-Road and hiking some shorter trails. It was an interesting mix of feelings of reminiscence, nostalgia, and commitment to living in the now. The last time I was in Glacier was a few years ago with an ex-boyfriend. We had an amazing time and saw some of my most favorite parts of the park. This time gave me a chance to experience these places in a refreshed light, and I was grateful to be able to appreciate the beauty of the past, but not let it hinder the unbeatable now.




I decided to spend my 24th birthday backpacking. I chose a 21-mile route that goes over Gunsight Pass, and the Continental Divide. It was interesting to spend my birthday "alone". Though I made numerous new friends throughout the day (including a couple mountain goats), I missed my tribe. But I knew they were all sending me good vibes full of light and love. Ultimately solitude was what I needed because I had gotten away from my truest self. It is easy to drift sometimes, but the important thing is to always be able to center yourself back where you know you need to be.



And the most intense part of my trip was a too close bear encounter. I was hiking along the pass on a part of the trail where there is sheer cliff above and below. I sensed someone behind me, and turned around expecting to greet fellow hikers. Instead I saw a sow and two cubs about 30 feet away from me. I didn't even realize pulling out the bear spray because at that point I was running on sheer instinct and adrenaline. So they kept on following me, even picking up the pace and closing in the gap between us. In all honesty, I thought I was done for. One swipe of her giant paw and I would have tumbled down the 800 ft cliff below. But luckily that was not my fate. After about 30 seconds, she finally turned around and her and the cubs went the other way. I don't think I breathed until that point! Ahhh! It was crazy. It wasn't until later that night it fully hit me just how terrifying that was. So even though I have a handful of previous bear encounters, this one tops them all. I have never been more grateful for my life than on that day... my birthday.




Anyways. I met so many great people there who I am excited to keep in touch with. Overall, an amazing experience.

I then headed across the border and I guess that's where I will pick up next time. For now, I am in Canmore Alberta. It is snowing but stunning. I even bought an unlimited week yoga pass at the local studio, so I guess I will be sticking around this area for a little bit! Basically, Canada = AMAZING.


No comments:

Post a Comment