Friday, November 30, 2012

The Things I Carry

I’ve been gradually crossing off items from my seemingly endless list for about a month now. The time has finally and already come. Tomorrow I set off to New Zealand for a two month trek! I somehow managed to shove 43 pounds worth of essentials in my pack… and usually I use the term ‘essentials’ with a wide margin, but not this time folks. For the next two months this is what I will be living with:
·         Tent
·         Sleeping bag
·         Thermarest Sleeping pad
·         Camera and extra lens
·         Four memory cards and three batteries (still don’t feel like that’s enough)
·         Jet boil and accessories
·         Leatherman
·         A flashlight/taser combo (thanks Bernie)
·         Headlamp
·         Journal (of course)
·         Survival guide book (just in case)
·         New Zealand guide book
·         First aid kit (emphasis on the blister care kit)
·         A few toiletries (ok, maybe more than a ‘few’)
·         Hiking pants
·         Spandex pants
·         Running shorts
·         Tank top
·         Two T-shirts
·         Long underwear shirt
·         Down jacket
·         Rain jacket
·         An ‘infinity skirt’ (doubles as scarf, etc etc)
·         Two pairs of exefficio undies (I really hope they work as well as they say)
·         Sports bra
·         A buff
·         Chacos
·         Hiking boots
·         Food and water (heavy.)
·         Water filter
·         Quick dry towel
·         Three pairs of wool socks
·         Rope and bungees
·         Most importantly…wallet and passport.

There you have it. Roughly 45 things, 45 pounds. Now to lay awake all night and try to remember what I am forgetting…….....

Anyways. Maybe I am brave…maybe I am just crazy. The reality of it all hasn’t quite hit me yet, and I am sure it won’t until I am flying over NZ. Good thing I have 24 hours of travel to let it all sink in.
I will be staying with a couchsurfing couple in Christchurch for a couple days, and from there it’s wide open spaces. Getting lost, getting found... meeting strangers who become family…. Never knowing what tomorrow will bring….a few reasons why I do this.

Not sure when I will have internet to write again, but I assure you the next entry will be one of the best. I cannot wait to see what’s in store for me!

1 comment:

  1. You are on such an adventure! I love you dearly, enjoy every minute and every kiwi.

    ReplyDelete